Thursday, April 22, 2010

The Best Orange Muffins


Over the weekend I was childless for a few hours...so I got into the kitchen and got baking for our lunchboxes this week. When scanning through my huge Alison Holst Cookbook I came across this recipe. The fact it called for a whole orange was what caught my interest and with mum's food processor still sitting in my cupboard I just had to try them!!! This was the first batch of muffins I have made which have lasted well in an airtight container and they were still nice and fresh 4 days later!!!


The Best Orange Muffins

Recipe adapted from Alison Holst - The Ultimate Collection

Makes 12 muffins
1 orange (about 200g)
1 cup sugar
1 large egg
1/2 cup orange juice
100g butter, melted
1 1/2 cups plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup sultanas

Preheat the oven to 200C. Cut the orange into quarters and then each quarter into 4 pieces crosswise. Put into a food processer with the sugar and process with metal chopping blade until finely chopped. Add the egg, juice, and melted butter and process until combined.

Sift the dry ingredients together in another bowl. Tip in the orange mixture and then add the sultanas. Fold together, making sure you don't overmix; stop as soon as the dry ingredients are dampened, but before the mixture is smooth.

Spoon into greased muffin pans, and bake for 12-15 minutes, until the tops are golden brown and the centre springs back when pressed.










No comments:

Post a Comment